Cast Care Instructions
- Keep the cast clean and dry.
- Check for cracks or breaks in the cast.
- Rough edges can be padded to protect the skin from scratches or abrasion.
- Do not scratch the skin under the cast by inserting objects inside the cast.
- You can use a hair dryer on a cool setting to blow air into the cast and cool down hot, itchy skin. Never blow warm or hot air into the cast.
- Do not put powders or lotions inside the cast.
- Cover the cast while your child is eating to prevent food spills and crumbs from entering the cast.
- Elevate the cast above the level of the heart to decrease swelling.
- Encourage your child to move his or her fingers (or toes for a leg cast) to promote circulation and exercise the muscles.